Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Injured

For the past two weeks I've been contending with my first ever running injury. I have been running for ten years and have never been seriously injured until now. After the marathon, I took two weeks off, partly because I got very sick with what was probably swine flu. Then I started training again since I had signed up for the Memphis Marathon Dec. 5. The week that I started training, I noticed that my hip had started to hurt when I ran. I've had other pains that I have run through and they would go away, but this time when I went for a ten mile run, I was in a lot of pain that evening. Since then I've had an ongoing pain in my left hip to the point where I am limping when I walk sometimes.

I stopped training to see if things would improve, but if there was any improvement, it was slow. I just went to the doctor today and I have pulled a muscle by my hip, the hip flexor. I have to take naproxen and rest. I don't see how I will be able to do the Memphis Marathon at this rate. But if I can't it will be ok, because I will still have a chance to see my family and friends. I still haven't totally ruled it out, but it is a long shot.

This week I started working out on the elliptical because it is driving me crazy not to exercise. I never realized how much I would miss running until I couldn't run. I am hoping my hip injury will heal very soon. I am also questioning whether I want to continue doing marathons or not at this point.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous joe said...

I vote you skip on the marathon, you've already mastered that race. There's no need to damage your legs. Hope you feel better!

November 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home